Monday, July 13, 2009

Cucumber - some


The past four days have revolved around our kennel club's dog show. The result of this is that we are now awash in cucumbers, in spite of having given some away (not easy when many of your neighbors also are awash in cucumbers), eaten as many as possible, and have even more on the vine that will be ready by the end of the week.

So I am preparing refrigerator pickles out of the canning pickles that somehow got planted (the motives of which are called into question because we have no means to properly can). Every meal is accompanied by cucumber salad. I even made a cucumber sandwich for lunch today, even though a really good cucumber sandwich require white bread and all I had was whole grain. In perusing other recipes, I found several suggesting we eat cooked cucumbers and, while I'm game for anything, I can't see the other residents getting that adventuresome in their cucumber consumption.



In January we will miss the cucumbers since I can't bring myself to pay ridiculous prices for those things in the grocery store. But, for now, they decorate the entire house.

I have a feeling the cukes will be the least of our problems in a few day -- Dirtman brought in the first of the zucchini this morning.

1 comment:

Leslie Shelor said...

This is why I don't plant cukes and zucchini. Someone is sure to sneak some into my mailbox soon.