Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A fungus among us

So there I was, doing the dishes, minding my own business when I look up and there, in my plain old African Violet sitting placidly on the windowsill:





'Shroom!

Big, yellow 'shroom!

There it was, hanging grotesquely over the edge of the pot.

"Is it edible?" Dirtman wondered out loud.

I consider that perhaps it will make me taller, like in Alice in Wonderland.

"Probably not, but it may make you think you are," Heir 1 suggested. "Can I try it and find out?"

"NO!" Dirtman and I scream in unison.

"I was only kidding," Heir 1 said, walking away and shaking his head like he really should be devoting more time toward finding us a good, clean nursing home.

I decided to go online to find out what, exactly, had infiltrated my innocent houseplant and if it will one night consume us all.

Turns out I have one of these. Nothing exotic. Like the birds at my birdfeeder ("typical feeder bird...), even my fungus is mundane.

The only question left is: Which one left the spores?


















Incidently: new puppy photos over on Flickr. Link is on the right, so you don't have to bother reading my blather anymore if you only love me for my puppy photos...

4 comments:

Darkgarden said...

I had one I started to quickly type... ROFL!!!

This is what you caused Sis!!!

http://realmofdarkgarden.blogspot.com/2007/08/crab-cap-and-crap.html

Katrina said...

It's kind of pretty...in that mushroom-y way.

Sisiggy said...

Katrina: Yeah, but now it's starting to collapse and it looks like something...malignant.

Leslie Shelor said...

You people can't get away from fungus even when you move away.