Thursday, February 23, 2012

People in glass houses should dress in the basement

Let me tell you something really special about moving into a new house "gradually." Curtains -- rather, lack thereof.

The fact is there are two picture windows in this house and one of them is in my bedroom. The shower is in a whole different room from the bathroom and there are windows all around.

Now, you would think, after almost 25 years of marriage I would have acquired a set of curtains for a picture window or at least the various windows in the shower room. Failing that, you would think it would be no big deal to just purchase the curtain we need.

And this would truly not be a problem if I wasn't at the cafe all the time -- certainly during regular curtain-buying hours.

And please don't advise me to send Dirtman to buy the curtains. I sent him out to buy trash cans -- one for the kitchen and little ones for the bathrooms. Do you know what he came back with? Lipstick red trash cans. I have never, ever had decor that matched that color. He explained that they were on clearance at the dollar store. I have a deep-seated fear of things on clearance at the dollar store. Things on clearance at the dollar store are usually things like...like...LIPSTICK RED TRASH CANS.

So, as we speak, there are no curtains on my window and I dress in the closet. The shower, however, is a whole other story. There is just no escaping a window until you reach the safety of that bedroom closet. At 4:30 a.m. this is usually not a problem -- it's too early for anyone to be driving by; but, as I found out this morning, it's not too early for everyone. My run from the shower to the bedroom closet as I ran to beat the headlights that were flickering through the house resembled one of those old World War II movies where some hapless soldier has to draw fire from his buddies, ending by making a desperate dive into the safety of a foxhole, .

Dirtman had the nerve to think this was funny (having already earned my disdain for those hideous trashcans.)

I may have to break down and cover the windows with blankets -- sheets are at a premium around here. Remember those days when I would whip up curtains out of nothing with my trusty ol' Singer? I'm lucky to be awake long enough after work to sew on a button. Forget curtains...

 Ironically, I've had the urge to watch the movie Groundhog Day (which, I point out, my nephew Lucas has never seen. I know. right?). DG insists that's what we're living.

But, then, tomorrow DG goes back to his regular job. And for me?
"Babe.
 I got you, Babe
I got you Babe..."






5 comments:

Dirtman said...

I feel I must defend myself... The Lipstick Red trash can was all there was - except for one Hot Pink trashcan. And Sis should explain there is no Kohls or Target in the general vicinity of the cafe where one can buy household items. She sent me to Family Dollar.

sbo said...

Hello there, simply become alert to your weblog thru Google, and fosbobetund that it’s really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels

Sandy said...

If you need anything to tide you over until everyone and everything is moved, let me know! I even have some small trashcans that are not lipstick red. :-)

Dirtman said...

I appreciate any color you might provide Sandy. It may keep me out of the doghouse (or the abandoned outhouse in the backyard)!

Simpliweb said...

Insanity is a good thing !!! :))