Friday, June 12, 2009

The Sisters of the Linguini Feeders

When it comes to hummingbirds, according to all my "vast" research (through Google) there is really only one type that migrates through Virginia -- the ruby-throated hummingbird.

The ruby-throated hummingbird is a bright green to olive green in color. The male has the distinctive bright red throat.

We've had lots of hummingbirds come to the feeders, but not one male. Not. One.

Apparently I am hosting the only hummingbird convent in the country.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only seem to have males. go figure. He finally tried the new feeder, square with roof, yesterday. It had been out for a week and no known visits, same amount of nectar. Wednesday I moved it nearer to my other one and voila yesterday a short visit.

Darkgarden said...

Anonymous needs to ID...

Be yo' self.

Sisiggy said...

OTD: That would make sense...aren't the females supposed to be on the nest now? In my case, though, since there are no males, no need to nest...I guess...

DG: She's signed up with Google and everything, but for some reason it won't let her post. I just know it's her.

Shay said...

One of the (few) things I miss about living in the South is the amazing variety of bird life.

Here, if I see a cardinal, it's a big day.

Leslie Shelor said...

I think the boys are all out here in Colorado fighting over the feeders here at the lodge. They're all ruby-throated as far as I can see. Do the hummingbirds back east vocalize? These are the noisest little birds I've ever heard!