Monday, January 26, 2009

Bringing back the bread

I can’t believe it’s been a year since I regularly baked bread. As a consequence, I’ve lost my rhythm and actually had to consult the recipe for my cinnamon raisin variation. I used to be able to bake this blindfolded.

I remember when I first moved here, I took one look at the tiny kitchen and decided my days of elaborate cooking and baking were over. That early May weekend I made a lot of decisions that amuse me now and this is among them.

Thank goodness Dirtman had the foresight to prevent me from doing anything so drastic as to get rid of plates and kitchenware. And he had the good grace to not say a word when, as my psyche began to heal, I began to look for all the kitchenware that I’d apparently instructed my brother to sell on E-bay (I don’t remember doing this – I don’t remember a lot from that weekend). I ask where something is and Dirtman pulls it out of wherever he stashed it until I was sane again. It’s kind of like getting presents.

I’ve come to adjust and even love my tiny kitchen. I have to order people out of it sometimes and the dogs have to be reminded to go lie down somewhere other than on my feet. But everything is within my reach and I don’t have to walk miles to get it.



And so bread. It was the best thing I could think of to usher in a spell of snowy weather that I know everyone else is dreading. Me? Bring it on! I’ve got milk in the freezer, tons of discounted, couponed CVS toilet paper and paper towels and now cinnamon raisin bread.


Hmm…I wonder where he stashed my pasta attachment…

2 comments:

Gwynne said...

There is something so comforting about homemade bread. And cinnamon bread...oh! I'm surprised it took you this long! And I'm glad someone had the presence of mind to keep the kitchenware. :-)

Leslie Shelor said...

Wish I was there.....

You've been nominated for attitude at the top of Squirrel Spur, by the way.