Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my back doh-ah"*

I've been experimenting with my camera's aperture lately -- not that this camera is new. We've had it for quite awhile. Only we've never discovered the nuances of the manual setting.

Believe me, we've read the instruction book cover to cover and, while it very clearly discusses changing aperture for a model different from our own and then refers anyone possessing our model to another part of the book that comes close to discussing aperture (it does mention the affect of light on the subject), it never actually explains how to manually change it on my camera specifically.

I would say this was due to our hopelessness in the face of technology, but even Dark Garden had a go at it and advised me to be happy with the auto setting -- which I truly am. But sometimes the auto setting just doesn't cut it, especially when you have no control over the light.

Anyway, I finally figured out how to change my aperture, but only by mistake. You would think it would be an obvious process seeing as they didn't see fit to provide instructions, but it's really a confounding procedure involving turning off totally unrelated features and using the same mechanical tool to change the aperture while simultaneously pressing another totally unrelated feature (while standing on your left leg and whistling "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" on a Tuesday). When I first noticed I was able to adjust the aperture and then suddenly and inexplicably unable to do so, I found myself screaming at the camera, "What?! What did I do?" Then shaking it, "Tell me! What do you want from me?"

At any rate the aperture problem has been solved, which allowed me to take these pictures out
my back door.


This was, obviously, last week's full moon taken early in the morning when I let the dogs out.

Now -- time to figure out how to change the f-stop. Sigh.

*Credence Clearwater Revival song, for those of you not of a Certain Age.

No comments: